Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Ok - Getting Used to This

Well, today was the third day our little guy was on his medication.  It was much better than day 1, but there are still some adjustments.

The good:  Tripp is definitely concentrating better!  Yeah!!!  He is much more focused.  He even asked to write his teacher a letter today and asked me how to spell some of the words.  In the past, he has hated writing!  I'm so glad to see him make an attempt at this!  In spite of spelling everything for Tripp, I still couldn't read anything he wrote, but at least he tried.  This is a huge step for him.

He also played with Trios and Legos for hours and hours on end today.  He likes both of these activities so this isn't too out of the normal for him, but he did spend more focused time on it than usual.    He also didn't use any negative attention seeking behaviors today.

Tripp went to bed at a reasonable time last night and did't seem like he was wound up before hand.

The bad:  Tripp is acting like a preteen drama queen at times.  The things he gets upset with and his overblown reactions (many times in tears) remind me so much of the pms that seems to appear in my 11 year old daughter once monthly.  Today there was a crying meltdown because one sister whispered to another sister.  Tripp doesn't usually show tears, but they have been flowing strong since he started his medication.  

Tripp is up late again tonight and is wound up, but the girls have a friend spending the night, so I can't blame it on the medication.

The hope:  I'm starting to find some hope.  What if Tripp goes to school next week and is able to learn!  What if that happens?!  I'm very excited at the thought.  I think I have given up on his ability to learn.  It is becoming quite clear that he will have to retake kindergarten, but with a May birthday, that is not that big of a deal.  My real fear has been that he will still not learn the second time, and then what do I do?  I'm starting to have hope that we may move forward soon.  I have not felt good about medicating my son, but what if it actually works?  What if he can learn and he starts to feel like part of the class and successful?  That would be such a blessing!

The fear:  My major fear is that harming my son more than helping him.  He is too young to tell me accurately how the medication makes him feel.  I hope it isn't deadening his brain or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment