Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

New Addition

We got our newest family addition last night - Achilles the dog.  He is a 7 year old red/white Siberian Husky.  So far all has been going well.  He has been wandering around trying to get acclimated.  He would like to play with the cats or the dogs down the street and I think he has been contemplating jumping our fence to do so.  As of right now he is not allowed outside without supervision so he doesn't get to adventurous.  The main purpose of us getting a dog was for Sarah.  She can't sleep at night and it is our hope that Achilles sleeping next to her will help.  She did sleep better last night, but there were complaints of Achilles sleeping in Abby's bed too much.  Sarah is working on training Achilles right now which includes a 2-mile walk every morning.  Today they did well practicing stepping off the path and sitting and holding on to the harness as runners go by.  Both Achilles and Sarah did very well and I was so happy to see Sarah take a walk.  I also used the time to walk my Leo and run off some of his energy.  I think the walkers/joggers might enjoy if I had a harness on him as well as he has been known to jog after a couple for a quarter mile.  Luckily Abby was a long as well and she kept Leo busy playing "eye spy" and learning how to skip.  Unfortunately, Achilles is not worn out from the walk and seems a bit bored.  I know eventually "bored" can turn into "destructive" so I'm trying to keep him busy.  He is not too interested in his toys right now.  He did bring a giant braided chew bone with him, but isn't wanting to chew it.  I've been shoving things in the grooves of it hoping to get him started, but so far he just licks them out.  I tried bacon grease and peanut butter.  I need to find a chew toy he likes.  Hmmmm.........  I wonder if a chew toy would keep Leo busy as well.  Or maybe I could get Achilles into Minecraft.  That seems to keep my other ADHD children busy.



Excuse the messy floors.  We've had lots of toys out for everyone this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment