Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Update on Meals They Will Eat

Well, they ate all of the meals with some tweaks here and there.  Abby didn't want to eat tacos, but said she loves walking tacos so I made that minor change and all went well.  The missionaries had supper with us on bacon, eggs, and rice night so we made it a bit fancier by adding a nice fruit salad and donuts for a "breakfast for supper feast.  Everyone seemed to love it.  We did have a night that we didn't feel like cooking and we ate 50 cent frozen burritos which made everyone but Abby happy.  She had ramen and was thrilled.  It was so successful that I think I will always keep frozen burritos and ramen on hand for what I will call "junky convenience food night".  We also had a night where we were out at appointments and running errands until 7pm so we bought a large bag of pizza rolls and all stood around the table snarfing it down as we had gotten too hungry to be civilized.  It's amazing how long we can spend on a couple of errands and how quickly we can become ravenous.  Maybe I should keep a bag of those around as well for similar occasions.  I have appointments 30 miles away 4 days next week.  Odds are it will happen again.
Here are my attempts for kid friendly meals next week:
1.  Corn flake breaded baked chicken legs
2.  Spaghetti and meatballs with an emphasis on the meatballs
3.  Costco sausages and roasted potatoes 
4.  Pesto ranch chicken over noodles
???  Guess I'll have to check Pinterest for more ideas.


This is not something that the kids are this week.  It is charred broccoli and red onions on quinoa and it was so good that I ate 3x this week.  One of my former students is studying to be a nutritionist and likes vegan cooking.  Apparently her honey got her a cookbook called Thug Kitchen for Christmas and she has been posting the most healthy and delicious meals from it on Facebook.  I have been copying them to the best of my ability but if anyone wants to buy me a present, I would love to get my hands on that cookbook. 
Fred also enjoyed this but would like to see the following changes for next time:
1.  Trade brown rice for the quinoa.  He doesn't like quinoa.
2.  Add shrimp or chicken and bell peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment